Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Bright Side

No comments:
 





                                                                                                                                                         
Lately I have noticed that the "last week jitters" have been kicking in. I have been in SE Asia 2.5 months and with five more days to go I can feel myself almost itching to go home. Let me just say I love Cambodia, and I loved Thailand and the feelings I have had do not reflect the team or any ministries we have done for that matter. I think we can all understand what it means to be homesick, and that's just what I am. I miss the tranquility of the Norwegian countryside and being able to hear myself think. I miss my friends and the fellowship I so easily take for granted.

However, this is not a post to throw myself a pity party or talk about my top ten reasons to complain. It's quite the opposite. I am determined that for some reason God wanted us to be in Cambodia 6.5 weeks and not 5. There is a reason we are still here and I don't want my feelings to stand in my way or miss what is right in front of my face. I don't want to miss the purpose of the next 120 hours. God does not need three more weeks to move tremendously, change lives, or grow our hearts. He can take all the time in the world, but give Him five minutes, let alone five days and He can flip your world upside down.

So ready or not, I want to give it my all, I want to pour out my heart, live fearlessly and step out boldly for the Glory of God! He has entrusted me with this time in Cambodia to share His love for the Khmer people, how can I not want to do my very best until I step foot off the plane in Oslo, and then beyond that. Because He is worth it, and He has called us to do it. We are called to love our neighbors as ourselves, to think of others more highly than ourselves, to preach the gospel, and to live like Christ. Not only on an outreach but every single day.

I received a greater revelation this morning as I talked to one of my “adoptive grandma's”. She told me “Either I can wake up and be a grouch over the things I cannot change or I can wake up and say Thank you Lord! This is going to be the best day ever!” I want to live like that. Life is so much fuller when we take it one day at a time, and realize how each day, every single breath is an incredible gift from God. I truly believe that each morning, if we take time to have revelation of how much we are loved by God, how blessed we are, and how we really owe it all to Jesus, our lives would be totally transformed.

What I am not saying is that we have to be “Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!” 24/7 with a huge grin on our face. That is not realistic, we all go through valley's and that is okay. But, I also think that if we choose to walk in the joy of the Lord, count our blessings, and allow our perspective to be constantly in a place of gratitude towards Jesus, then amidst the storm, our hearts will be steadfast and our emotions won't change like the tide. When we choose each morning to live that day like it is our last- and no, I don't mean #yolo- but seizing every opportunity the Lord puts in front of us, loving those around us, and finding joy in the little things, it will be a lot easier to keep that perspective when difficulties arise.

I want to make a choice to not let my circumstances or my feelings dictate my attitude, but to always look on the bright side of life. It's not worth crying over spilled milk, or getting upset over the situations that are unchangeable. When our hearts are in a place of total surrender and longing to honor Jesus and trying to live a life like Him, there is so much grace. He see's when we try, when we are open and have a willingness to live out what we learn. He will so faithfully give us the strength for each new day and the patience to endure the hard.

So here I am, missing home, temperatures under 70 degrees, and still I have five days. Five days to survive or five days to seize.


As the Roman poet, Horace, said “Carpe Diem”, Seize the day.  And so I will, Determined to make these last days some of the best, not because I have to, but because life is more fun with joy in your heart and a smile on your face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff